That Crazy Dragon

Today in 1963 - Peter, Paul and Mary released the single, "Puff The Magic Dragon". Through the years, controversy continually surrounded the song. It was banned by several radio stations whose management figured that the song was about the elicit joys of smoking marijuana. The group denied this startling assumption. “It’s about a magic dragon named Puff,” they said. So there. The trio recorded a dozen hits that charted between 1962 and 1969. "Puff" was their third song. It went to number two on the pop charts and puffed around for nearly three months. The group next did a Bob Dylan protest song, "Blowin’ in the Wind" and ended a sterling career with a John Denver song -- the group’s biggest -- "Leaving on a Jet Plane".

Wasn't that interesting as well as educational? I try. I really do.

LL

Comments

Anonymous said…
The movie, Puff the Magic Dragon, would make me cry as a kid. Damn....I'm getting teary now thinking about that stupid freakin' cartoon dragon.
Anonymous said…
The movie Puff was on one year the same time as Charles and Diana's "Fairy Tale Wedding". My Mom left the room and I turned it to Puff. When she came back she got really pissed at me and made me turn back to the "historic" wedding. I just wanted to watch the cartoon. I think she was still pissed at me when she put me to bed. Peter, Paul, and Mary, still causing controversy in 1981 (or whenever the hell that was!)

Popular posts from this blog

Does anyone care?

BEWARE the IDES of MARCH

Yo People